The Geelong Youth Choir was founded in 1988 to provide young people in the region with a sound musical education in vocal training, musicianship and sight-singing. With a commitment to offering a musical education of the highest quality, the Geelong Youth Choir has developed a reputation for excellence in choral singing and comprehensive musicianship programs.
At GYC young people of all ages enjoy a wide range of quality music, build confidence in performance and develop their musicianship and vocal skills through Kodály-based programs. Strongly rooted in an educational base, musicianship training is a vital part of the program and each child progresses through the program at their own level, developing aural skills, music-reading skills and vocal skills. Younger children learn through fun games and music activities. Our qualified teachers are specialists in the care and development of children’s voices and are passionate about quality music education.
GYC programs include:
- Let’s Make Music: Preschool Music Program
- Vivace Choir: for young children of Prep – Year 2 ages
- Prelude Choir: training choir for primary school age children
- Cantore Choir: an auditioned choir for young people aged 10 – 18 years
- Chamber Choir: an advanced small ensemble for high school aged singers (auditioned)
- Young Adult Singing Group: a vibrant performance group for ages 18 – 35 years (auditioned)
- Bella Mama Women’s Choir: for women of all ages (no auditions)