Fred Williams in the You Yangs
Posted 21 September 2017
At the Geelong Gallery until Sunday 5 November
Fred Williams first spotted the You Yangs in 1957 from the deck of the ship on which he was sailing home to Melbourne from London. Williams commenced gouache painting in the You Yangs in 1962, and the geography provided him with various vantage points to focus on the distinctive rocky outcrops of the place, and the vast expanses of country that opened before him. It is his works of this period which led to what we now consider Fred Williams’s ‘classic’ or signature interpretation of the Australian landscape.
Fred Williams in the You Yangs brings together the ground-breaking paintings, drawings and etchings that represent the turning point in Fred Williams’s art.
Pre-purchase your ticket by visiting Fred Williams in the You Yangs.
Eye spy art adventures—local landscapes
Tuesday 3 October at 11.30am
Discover the secrets of Fred Williams in the You Yangs before creating a landscape of your own.
Cost—$5 Suitable for ages 5 to 10 years. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Follow the link to purchase tickets.
The You Yangs—Mark Dober
until Sunday 15 October 2017
Reflecting the enduring interest of artists in this unique location, this exhibition of recent watercolours by Mark Dober includes large-scale multi-panelled works painted en plein air in a vibrant palette.
After hours— Fred Williams in the You Yangs
Friday 13 October, from 5.30pm
To celebrate the exhibition Fred Williams in the You Yangs Geelong Gallery’s after hours event returns—relax in the Gallery with a guest performer, Steampocket pop-up wine and pizza bar and a chance to intimately view this remarkable exhibition at night.
Exhibition ticket prices apply, pre-purchase your ticket online
Fred Williams in virtual reality
until Sunday 5 November
Immerse your senses in virtual reality and explore Fred Williams in the You Yangs: stand inside one of Fred Williams’ paintings, and experience the rugged Australian landscape using virtual reality technology.
Free with admission to Fred Williams in the You Yangs
- Fred Williams, Pond in the You Yangs 1963, gouache. Private collection, Melbourne. Photographer: Andrew Curtis. © Estate of Fred Williams
- Installation view, The You Yangs—Mark Dober. Photographer: Andrew Curtis.
- Fred Williams, You Yang Pond 1963, oil on composition board. Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, Gift of Godfrey Phillips International Pty Ltd 1968
- Fred Williams, You Yangs landscape 1965, oil on canvas. National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Purchased with the assistance of the Visual Arts Board, Australia Council, 1977. © Estate of Fred Williams.
- Fred Williams in virtual reality: You Yang Pond 1963. Photographer: Reg Ryan.