FACILITATORS: Theo & Soula Mantalvanos
DATE: Mon, Wed, Thurs & Fri
TIME: 10am – 4pm
LOCATION: QG&W art & print studios
COST: $275 (base materials inc.* Book 3 sessions and receive 5hr free access)
PLACES: 1 per day
Printmaking for Beginners is a 1:1 custom workshop.
In this workshop we begin by showing you a few works in the gallery and explaining the various techniques and combinations artists have used to make their work. Following this first step, we progress to demonstrating the techniques available to you and discuss any ideas you may have.
You can choose to work on your own or get creative with Soula, or technical with Theo.
- bringing in some work to develop further
- bringing in some work to use as inspiration
- keeping it simple and just enjoying the experimentation of mark making and printing by hand.
Printmaking for Beginners can be your glimpse into various printmaking techniques or you can decide on a technique of choice. Explore relief print (linocut/wood engraving), intaglio (drypoint, etching, mezzotint), monoprint and/or unique state.
There is no pressure to have work completed, instead the session is about informing you, experimenting and/or assisting your work development
Printmaking for beginners is ideal if a participant:
- requires personal tuition
- has a specific achievement in mind or simply wants to learn something new
- is interested in learning about hand made prints
- would like to learn about various printmaking techniques
- is considering a full workshop but not sure which one would be suitable
- Is considering working in QG&W’s access studio
- would like to prepare or enhance their study/folio
- is interested in non-digital creativity
The participant can expect to:
- receive 1:1 attention and learn at their pace
- learn about the various printmaking methods
- experiment with the tools and various materials
- work with Theo and/or Soula to make prints
- gain a good understanding of the various techniques and associated materials, tools and printing methods
- learn about costs involved to further explore printmaking
- choose one of the print techniques to focus on and make prints using this technique (linocut, etching, monoprint, etc)
- discuss and develop their work over the course of the day.
SKILL LEVEL REQUIRED: All levels and experience
INCLUDED: Tea, Butchers paper, tarlatan, use of tools, 1 small copper plate OR 1 x piece of lino, 2 plastic plates, 8 sheets of paper for printing, blank ink, private use of the access studio. Copper plate, lino and paper size is 26 x 19cm.