What is on offer?
Expression of Interest
The City of Greater Geelong is seeking to commission a suitably qualified/experienced projection Artist/team to develop a highly engaging Christmas programme for projection onto the Gheringhap St façade of City Hall. The successful artist(s) will create content to decorate and highlight the architectural features of the building with an accompanying sound track. As a key element in the Christmas calendar we expect the programme to engage audiences with a sense of wonder and delight.
The projections will run from approximately 8:30pm to 12 midnight seven nights per week over the Christmas season commencing the weekend of Friday 17th November. The projection programme is a key element in the 2017 Christmas festival calendar that will evoke a sense of wonder and beauty for people of all ages to enjoy.
It is anticipated that the content developed for the 2017 programme will form the foundation for further enhancement in 2018 subject to available funding and success of the 2017 programme.
Artists are invited to submit information about their art practice and appropriate experience for consideration.
Submissions should include a short biography outlining your art practice and recent relevant experience creating projection artwork in the public realm, current CV (maximum 2 pages) and up to 5 images of your artwork and or webpage links for viewing examples of previously developed animated content. (Jpeg/Mpeg or video files – max 1Mb each).
Proposals must include a break down of expenses, and a conceptual framework for content development, which would be further developed/clarified with the successful artist/team. Decorative Christmas content, with the inclusion of artistic elements, animated sequences and a soundtrack are expected. The animated show reel should ideally run for 10 – 15 minutes in duration and incorporate a short transitional light program that will play in between the end and restart of feature projection.
Artists should familiarise themselves with the timeline below and confirm their availability to complete all requirements.
Project Timeline and Key Milestones
- Commencement of EOI – Friday 28th July 2017
- Submissions due – 12pm Mon 28th August 2017
- Artist Selected & Notified – Friday 1st September 2017
- Mandatory Site Visit for successful Artist – By negotiation 2017
- Content Development update and presentation – By negotiation October 2017
- Content completed and projections commence – Friday 17th November 2017
The total project budget is $30,000 (thirty thousand dollars) exclusive of GST. This amount is inclusive of artist’s fees, travel, accommodation and expenses, and all costs associated with the digital mapping, animated content development, and onsite refinement of content for projection.
The successful Artist/team will be required to attend a site visit and briefing. Council will provide information regarding content guidelines and hardware specifications.
Council will make available: The building template file, Barco HDFW 26K projector, Brightsign media player, integrated sound system. Council will manage auto play and shut down of the projector.
Scope of Work
Artists will be required to:
- Register on Council’s Preferred Supplier System. This will require Public Liability Insurance cover ($10,000,000) if successful;
- Submit preliminary artwork concepts with a clear narrative direction in response to the central Christmas theme to the Commissioner for consideration;
- Following Concept approval, develop an animated projection program with integrated sound track for 2017 Christmas Season and 2018 with further development subject to funding;
- Liaise with and attend meetings with Arts & Culture Department staff as deemed necessary through development of the project;
- Supply a fully rendered programme with soundtrack for projection;
- Participate in publicity or promotional events and media interviews where appropriate and as mutually agreed upon by both Parties in advance and in writing;
- Submit Artwork attribution and title;
- Provide all requested information and complete all tasks in a timely manner and in accordance with any timelines and deliverable dates set forth in the contractual Agreement.
Direct enquiries and submissions to:
Steve Singline, Public Art Officer – Arts & Culture Department Phone: 03 5272 4704, 0438 961 405 firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions are to be received by email only and are due by 12pm Mon 28th August 2017