What is on offer?
Expression of Interest
North Geelong Secondary College has received a City of Greater Geelong Arts Grant and is partnering with Harcourts North Geelong to create a dynamic and engaging Public Art mural celebrating the diverse cultural strength of the North Geelong communities. It is anticipated that the artwork will be of a high quality and create a sense of pride for the community. The artwork should broadly appeal to people of across age, gender and cultural diversity.
As a part of the project the artist(s) will also be required to share their knowledge and experience with a select group of Year 11 North Geelong Secondary Students.
Scope of work with students
- Total time with students: 8 hours
Artist Talk: two hours in total
- One Hour: Year 11 VCAL Studio Art students (small class)
- One Hour: Year 11 Studio Art students (approx. 17 students)
- Content of presentation: Examples of artist’s work, discussion of artist inspiration, professional practice, techniques etc. Students will be encouraged to ask questions at the end of the talk.
Year 11 Studio Art Student Workshops (17 students)
- Workshops: two double periods and two single periods (6 hours approx)
- As part of the project the selected artist will share their knowledge of techniques and processes with Year 11 Studio Art students to aid their completion of an artwork for the school.
The location for the mural is Harcourts North Geelong wall facing Tallinn St in North Geelong. The wall surface for the mural is pre painted brick (see below – area painted blue). Dimension of the wall are: Height of painted section 3.66m x Width of wall 30.5m (Existing signage will be removed)
Artists/creative teams are invited to submit conceptual proposal for the mural along with information about their practice and appropriate experience for consideration.
Submissions should include:
- Proposed artwork, artists should provide a conceptual drawing of the artwork
- Materials used, noting that artists should use quality exterior materials with a manufacturer lifespan of not less than 5years
- A short biography outlining professional practice and recent relevant experience creating large artworks displayed or activated in the public realm, current CV (maximum 2 pages) and up to 5 images of your previous work and or webpage links for viewing examples of previously developed work. (Jpeg/Mpeg or video files – max 1Mb each).
- Artists are required to have Public Liability Insurance
- Artists are required to have a Working With Children Check and be willing to sign a Child Safety Code of Conduct Form
Project Timeline and Key Milestones
Commencement of EOI November 2016
Submissions due 12pm Monday 12th Dec 2016
Artist Selected & Notified Friday 16th Dec 2016
Artwork commences 27th Feb – 17th March 2017
Student workshop & Artist presentation Between February 20th and March 17th approx (negotiated)
Project Launch 21st March (Harmony Day)
The total project budget is $10,000 (ten thousand dollars). This amount is inclusive of artist design fees, travel/transport expenses, all materials.
Workshop materials will be negotiated with the successful artist and materials will be sought from a corporate sponsor.
The successful Artist/team will be required to attend briefings as required with North Geelong Secondary College staff, City of Greater Geelong Public Art Officer and a representative of Harcourts North Geelong.
Scope of Work
Artist/ Creative team will be required to:
- Submit preliminary artwork concepts of the mural for consideration;
- Following Concept approval, complete mural within agreed timeframes;
- Liaise with and attend meetings with project reference group as deemed necessary through development of the project;
- Provide an artist talk and workshop to students about their professional practise;
- Participate in publicity or promotional events and media interviews where appropriate and as mutually agreed upon by both Parties in advance
- Provide all requested information and complete all tasks in a timely manner.
Direct enquiries and submissions to:
Public Art Officer
Arts & Culture Department
Phone: 03 5272 4704, 0438 961 405
Submissions are to be received by email only and are due by 12pm Monday 12th Dec 2016
Who is providing the opportunity?City of Greater Geelong
What is the closing date or deadline?12/12/2016
How do people book or get involved?Direct enquiries and submissions to:
Public Art Officer
Arts & Culture Department