Description of Venue
The building, in which art@wintergarden is housed, was originally constructed in 1853 as a preaching hall for a group who broke away from the Congregational Church. The building continued to be used as a Church until 1874. In 1878 the Victorian Government purchased the building for use as a drill hall and orderly rooms for the Geelong Corps of the Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery. The Corps vacated the building in 1900.
From 1907 the building was used for a variety of different purposes including the manufacture of beverages, food and at one point was used by a dry cleaning business. In 1989 the building was in need of renovation, and was purchased by a local businessman for the purposes of housing his antiques and other businesses which would be attractive to local residents and tourists to the area.
Today, The Wintergarden is an alluring venue for art lovers, with its natural light and elegant interior providing an inviting setting for customers who are interested in the arts, dining, jewellery, gardening, hand-crafts and interiors.
art@wintergarden promotes local and regional artists from emerging to established. Exhibitions change of a monthly basis and a variety of mediums are exhibited. Open daily from 10am – 4pm entry is free.
Types of EventsExhibitions