What is on offer?
Hello Choirs and Singers of the City of Greater Geelong,
An opportunity for singers to work and perform with Jonathon Welch, from the ‘Choir of Hard Knocks’.
The Mountain to Mouth (M~M) 2018 Extreme Arts Walk is offering the opportunity to local choirs to participate in M~M2018 under the tutelage of choir maestro, Jonathon Welch, culminating in local performances during M~M2018 (May 4 & 5).
Jonathon Welch AM is a multi-award winning singer, conductor, teacher, songwriter, and recording artist with a career spanning over 30 years. In 2007 Jonathon’s work creating choirs for the homeless and disadvantaged in Australia was the subject of the internationally acclaimed ARIA, Logie and Helpmann award winning TV documentary. Jonathon has been recognised for his outstanding commitment to the music industry, youth music education and his work with marginalised communities with several significant awards: (Australian of the Year Local Hero 2008, ANZAC of the Year 2009, Order of Australia 2009, and Honorary Fellow of the Australian Council of Educational leaders). He has recently returned from working on projects in Africa and now he is coming to work with choirs in Geelong.
Choirs will be invited to perform in two ways – but you may choose to only do one element or both.
- As the welcoming committee for the M~M Canoe and walkers at their closest Songline Station on either Fri 4th or Sat 5th May – depending on the choir’s location. See attached map of the M~M 2018 Contemporary Songline.
- To join in the Ceremonies. Jonathon Welch will be leading the choirs at each of these ceremony performances:
- Choirs North of the city invited to participate in Gathering of the Elders (4thMay, 11am, You Yangs).
- ALL choirs invited to participate in Gathering of the City Ceremony (4thMay, 9.30pm, Johnstone Park,
- Choirs South of the City invited to perform at the Gathering of the Elements (5thMay, 6pm, Barwon Heads Foreshore).
Jonathon will provide clear notations, sheet music and recorded music parts to choir masters to teach the simple and easy to learn music he has composed. This music will be available for choirs to learn in early April.
Tues 17th April: 5:30-6:30pm National Wool Museum Auction Room
Workshop with participating choir masters with Jonathon Welch.
Thurs 3rd May: 6:00-7:00pm Johnstone Park
Massed choir rehearsal, run by Jonathon, when all participating choirs come together.
Fri 4th & Sat 5th May: Performance locations and times as outlined above.
M~M 2018 would love all our local choirs to be involved. If you are interested in this incredible choral opportunity for your choir, or would like further information please contact Fiona Duncan, Arts and Culture Department, City of Greater Geelong.